- Get a copy of your credit report.
- Analyze your report by making a list of all items you consider to be untrue or negative.
- For each item on your list, write down exactly why you believe the information is incorrect.
- Write a dispute letter to each of the credit bureaus.
- Send the letters to the credit bureaus. Be sure to send them registered or certified mail so that you can track each one.
- Keep a record of your efforts filed away so that you can retrieve it and add to it later. Record when you sent your letters and where you sent them to.
- Wait for the bureaus to investigate your claims.
- Record each of the responses after analyzing the results.
Were the items corrected to your satisfaction?
Continue the above steps until you the dispute is settled to your satisfaction. There is no fee for a reinvestigation. If you don’t get the results you want, dispute the listing again.
You can do this. It will take patience but it will pay off.
For My Savvy Sisters: Have you taken the opportunity to review your credit history this year? Have you undertaken the task of repairing your own credit? How did things turn out?